Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A sloppy Joe like no other! You can make this in a crock pot but you will need to start the recipe in a skillet firstly, then transfer to the crock pot. This is a thick rich tomato-based recipe with intense flavors, that only gets better the longer it is simmered! If you want a plain-tasting Sloppy Joe then this recipe is not for you, I developed this recipe and has become a family favorite! Use only Hamburger Helper Chili-Macaroni flavor for this! Adjust the jalapeno pepper amount (if using) to suit heat level. I serve this on my homemade cheese buns (Kittencal's Cheddar Loaves or Buns) that have been sliced in half and spread with a garlic-butter Parmesan cheese mixture, then baked in the oven for about 10 minutes to crisp slightly and heat, but you can top the mixture on just plain buns, but the garlic buns are better! This recipe makes a ton but can easily be frozen to use for a next meal. This is even better if made a day ahead!
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This had a very different combination of flavors for sloppy joe's. Almost overspicy. I started in the pan, and transferred it to the crockpot, but it had way too much liquid in it so the last 30-35 minutes, I transferred it back to the pan so that some of the liquid could be absorbed. Not like any Sloppy Joe recipe I've ever made. Not sure I like the spice combo of the Hamburger Helper.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped, or to taste)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (210 g) package Hamburger Helper mix for beef pasta (chili-macaroni flavor)
- 7 -8 slices bacon (cooked until crisp then finely chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or more to taste)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- black pepper
- water, to thin if needed
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Hamburger Helper, separate the pasta package from the seasoning mix package, and save the pasta to use in another recipe.
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with green bell pepper, onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper (if using) cook until the meat is well browned (about 10-12 minutes) drain fat.
- Add in Hamburger Helper seasoning packet, water, cooked finely chopped bacon, chili powder, tomato sauce, tomato soup and sugar; cook uncovered for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours adding in more water if needed to thin to desired consistency (the longer you simmer this the richer and thicker it will be, cook only uncovered!).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on soft fresh buns!