1/1 Photo of Hamburger Helper Sloppy Joes (Crock Pot or Stove Top)
1 hr 30 mins
A sloppy Joe like no other! You can make this in a crock pot but you will need to start the recipe in a skillet firstly, then transfer to the crock pot. This is a thick rich tomato-based recipe with intense flavors, that only gets better the longer it is simmered! If you want a plain-tasting Sloppy Joe then this recipe is not for you, I developed this recipe and has become a family favorite! Use only Hamburger Helper Chili-Macaroni flavor for this! Adjust the jalapeno pepper amount (if using) to suit heat level. I serve this on my homemade cheese buns (Kittencal's Cheddar Loaves or Buns) that have been sliced in half and spread with a garlic-butter Parmesan cheese mixture, then baked in the oven for about 10 minutes to crisp slightly and heat, but you can top the mixture on just plain buns, but the garlic buns are better! This recipe makes a ton but can easily be frozen to use for a next meal. This is even better if made a day ahead!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped, or to taste)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (210 g) package Hamburger Helper mix for beef pasta (chili-macaroni flavor)
- 7 -8 slices bacon (cooked until crisp then finely chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or more to taste)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- black pepper
- water, to thin if needed
- 1For the Hamburger Helper, separate the pasta package from the seasoning mix package, and save the pasta to use in another recipe.
- 2In a large skillet cook the ground beef with green bell pepper, onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper (if using) cook until the meat is well browned (about 10-12 minutes) drain fat.
- 3Add in Hamburger Helper seasoning packet, water, cooked finely chopped bacon, chili powder, tomato sauce, tomato soup and sugar; cook uncovered for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours adding in more water if needed to thin to desired consistency (the longer you simmer this the richer and thicker it will be, cook only uncovered!).
- 4Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Serve on soft fresh buns!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Helper Sloppy Joes (Crock Pot or Stove Top)
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.4
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 57.0 mg
- Sodium 552.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 16.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Hamburger Helper mix for beef pasta