Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Carla Hall's Cooking With Love
Make and share this Hamburger Help Me Meal recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups drained canned diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Saute the onion over medium heat until tender and season with salt. Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer.
- Add the beef, oregano, and cayenne. Season generously with salt and pepper. Brown the beef and stir to break it up into smaller pieces. Drain the fat from the pan and discard.
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir until well mixed. Stir in the tomatoes and stock. Raise the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Wile the beef simmer, add the macaroni and 1 teaspoon salt to the boiling water. Cook a minute less than directed on the packaging and drain well.
- Stir the macaroni and half the cheese into the beef mixture. If it looks too thick add in a bit more stock.
- Divide among serving bowls and top with parsley and the remaining cheese.
We did this with a pound of hamburger and half a pound of italian sausage. We also used italian diced tomatos. Very, very tasty!
This was OK for us but very bland. It really didn't have much flavor to it. I followed the recipe as written. I cooked a pound of macaroni but only used about a 1/4 of them. If I would have used the full pound I don't think you would have tasted anything but the noodles. I took it the next day for lunch and it still didn't have much flavor (at times things taste a lot better when they sit). Made for an easy quick meal.