Recipe by Carrie in Greenville
This recipe is quick and easy to put together. I pre-cook my hamburger with onions and peppers and freeze it in individual meal portions - makes for extremely quick meals like this or spaghetti or some such meal. I use low-fat cheese and fat-free sour cream to reduce the fat (it still tastes great!), but you can use the regular kind if you prefer.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 0.5 (30 ounce) bag frozen hash browns
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat grated cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- fresh ground pepper
- crushed Ritz crackers (optional) or panko breadcrumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees farenheit.
- Brown hamburger, onion and green pepper together until hamburger is no longer pink. Drain off extra fat.
- Turn off heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients. I like to pop the hash browns into the microwave for about 5 minutes (stirring midway through) before I stir them into the mixture (to reduce the final baketime), but this is not necessary.
- Spray lube a 9x11 baking dish and pour in mixture. Sprinkle the Ritz crackers or Panko bread crumbs over top if desired. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. If you use the crackers or bread crumbs, remove foil for last 5 minutes to brown the top.