Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is another recipe from my 1970 Southern Living cookbook. This is not the nicest looking dish, but we all liked it very much. My kids loved it! Very simple dish.
- 1 lb lean ground chuck
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb whole kernel corn (canned)
- 2 cups thinly sliced raw potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded American cheese
- Combine beef, onion, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and salt.
- Combine corn, potatoes, flour, and green pepper and layer with beef combination.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes; then sprinkle with cheese and bake 30 minutes more, or until vegetables are done.
I have been making this recipe since I was in college in 1973. Always a family favorite. I use whole tomatoes that I crush, not the juice from the can. Have never had trouble with consistency. Also I replace the American cheese with cheddar and add either peas or lima beans with the corn.
I like the idea of this recipe but if I try it again I will not use crushed tomatoes, I will try petite diced. I did not like what the crushed tomatoes did to the consistancy of the beef even though I tried not to overstir it. The dish definately has potential.