1/5 Photos of Hamburger Cookies
*Huge* hit at parties! These actually TASTE great (waay better than those made with canned frosting).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
COOKIES (use 1 recipe buttercream frosting)
- 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers (Nabisco Nilla original size)
- 1 (10 ounce) package cookies (Keebler Fudge Shoppe Grasshopper, chocolate covered mint cookies)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten with water
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- 1FROSTING: Combine butter, vanilla, sugar, salt, and half-and-half in an electric mixer.
- 2Add enough milk to get to a fairly thin consistency for frosting.
- 3Divide into 3 separate bowls; one holding ½ of the frosting, the other two containing ~1/4 each.
- 4Color ½ of the frosting orange to simulate cheese, using red and yellow food coloring. (Use real items to match colors).
- 5Color ¼ of the frosting bright yellow to simulate mustard, and the last, red, to simulate ketchup. (Red will take a LOT of liquid food coloring to get past “pink.” You can buy gel-based “super red”at any cake decorating supply store).
- 6Place each batch of frosting into a plastic baggie.
- 7Remove air, close, and snip a tiny bit off of one of the bottom corners.
- 8COOKIES: Preheat oven to 325º. Toast sesame seeds lightly in a small sauté pan. Cool.
- 9Brush ½ of the Nilla wafers tops with egg wash.
- 10Place on baking sheet.
- 11Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
- 12Pop into the oven for ~5 minutes to gently cook the egg white, so that the cookies don’t need to be refrigerated.
- 13While these are cooking, with a rasp, lightly shave the curved tops of the remaining Nilla wafers, so that they can sit flat on a plate (optional, but makes life easier later).
- 14Place ½ of the coconut into a plastic zip-lock bag.
- 15Add several drops of green food coloring and squish the bag around until the coconut resembles lettuce.
- 16Place the shaved Nilla wafer “bun bottom” with the natural flat side up.
- 17Dab 4 drops of frosting “ketchup” around the edge. Dab 4 drops of frosting “mustard” in the remaining spaces on the edge.
- 18Sprinkle green “lettuce” coconut.
- 19Place the mint cookie “hamburger patty” on top and gently press down slightly.
- 20Squeeze a GOOD dollop of orange “cheese” frosting on top of the cookie.
- 21Sprinkle remaining white “onion” coconut on top.
- 22Place the sesame-coated “top bun” Nilla wafer on top, and gently press down.
- 23Serve with toasted slivered almonds, resembling French fries!
- 24*It takes a LOT of liquid red food coloring to get past “pink.” Try using “super red” gel-based red pigment, found at any local cake decorating supply store.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (23 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.1
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 6.3 mg
- Sodium 54.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: