Recipe by Lisa1
I like this with a lot of pepper. You can use 1/2 cup of rice instead of barley if you prefer.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, broken up
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley (not quick cooking)
- 8 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef. Drain.
- Add tomatoes with juice (break up with spatula), carrots, celery, onion, barley, water, salt and pepper.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, corn and green beans.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes longer.
- More water can be added if necessary.