Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this up when I was in highschool, wanting a thick stew for dinner one cold winter evening, but only having ground beef in the house. It satisfied me then, and satisfies me and my family now - especially with some garlic cheese bread and a fire going in the hearth!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced dried garlic (or more if you're like me!)
- 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 14 1⁄2 ounces milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained
- 2 -4 tablespoons tomato paste, for thickening
- Brown ground beef in large dutch oven, breaking it up. Drain off grease.
- Add tomatoes to dutch oven, breaking them up into small pieces. Add back in ground beef, and rest of ingredients up to the mixed vegetables. Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Add tomato paste, 1 tablespoon at a time, until thickened to your taste. Serve in bowls, with fresh grated cheddar, if you like.