LtlPhyl #2's Note:
This has been a long time family and kid friendly favorite for 40 plus years. I never knew what brown gravy sauce was or could I find it so have always used molasses. The recipe also works well on a camping menu. I have made this many, many times on a Coleman stove. Prep time is approximate. ENJOY..!! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute meat and onion in a small amount of butter or vegetable oil until meat is brown and no longer pink.
- 2Add salt, pepper, celery and water; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add bean sprouts.
- 3Blend cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and add soy sauce, sugar and brown gravy sauce.
- 4Stir into meat mixture and heat until thickened.
- 5Serve over Chow Mein Noodles.
- 6VARIATION: Omit hamburger and use leftover pork roast cut into bite size pieces along with leftover gravy. Canned sliced water chestnuts and/or a can of baby corn is a lovely addition as well.
- 7NOTE: This may also be served over linguine instead of Chow Mein Noodles as in Lo Mein.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Chow Mein
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.6
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 76.2 mg
- Sodium 1565.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 30.7 g