Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom used to make this for me all the time and I always loved it. Just thought that I would share with you. Hope you enjoy! This is a great dish served with pinto beans and cornbread!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut up into pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 head cabbage
- Make patties using ground beef and layer onto bottom of casserole dish.
- Layer cabbage, onion, celery over top of patties.
- Slice butter over top, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour water over mixture, cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to one hour, or until cabbage is tender.
This is perfect when you have little time to spare in the kitchen. I seasoned the patties with minced garlic and onion ,worchestershire sauce and cajon seasoning. and replaced the water with beef broth.Very good
This is really good and extraordinarily easy to make. It generates a lot of juice, so we recommend serving it with rice, bread, or potatoes to sop up the broth. We'll definitely be making this again.
I just made this recipe for my family for a quick and cheap lunch and it was loved by all (even my 10 year old!). I used some cheap pre-made frozen beef patties instead of making my own so I used less water knowing the frozen patties are quite a bit greasier then ground beef and everything turned out great.