Recipe by Mrs_Morris
These mock "Hamburger" buns are amazingly bread-like in texture (and taste!) and are suitable for all phases of The Dukan Diet! Once completely cool, seal them in a ziplock storage baggie or a tupperware over night. They will totally change their consistency, to something much more like bread - a softer texture that is nice and chewy. While warm they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue - but don't let this fool you! Since the sides that were facing the pan are perfectly flat, you use these to spread things on, or make sandwiches, or even as a burger bun! My favorite is spreading cream cheese on both sides (like a sandwich) and stuffing with a freshly poached egg...delish!
- 3 whole large eggs (separated)
- 3 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese (or fat-free cream cheese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute, granulated (or preferred artificial sweetener)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or 175 Celcius).
- Separate your eggs making sure there is absolutely no yolk in the white mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg yolks, cottage cheese, and sweetener until creamy.
- In a larger bowl, add egg whites and cream of tartar and beat the whites with an electric mixer on high until fluffy. You want this mixture to be well whipped and quite stiff - under mixing will result in a very runny mixture.
- Carefully fold egg yolk mixture into the egg whites with a large spatula, until evenly mixed. Try not to over-mix, you don't want to loose the 'fluffiness' of the egg whites mixture.
- Spray two cookie sheets with Pam (or fat-free cooking spray).
- With a large spoon "scoop" the mixture into 10 even rounds on the sheets (about the size of the top-half of the McDonalds hamburger bun; roughly 3/4 inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across).
- Place cookie sheet the middle rack and set timer for 20 minutes. Now you will need to watch them, because the cooking time may vary on any two batches. Basically, you want them to bake until they become nice and golden brown color (the color of a McDonalds bun).
- Remove from the pans and cool on a wire rack.