Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe my mom made during our 'poor' years as kids. And we loved it! Our friends too in fact, so much so that when they knew she was making it for supper, they'd want to just 'hang around a little longer' after school. And now it's one of my hubbys favorites! A great recipe with 'on hand' ingredients! I hope you like as much as we do!
- 2 pie crusts, See my recipe for Never Fail Pastry for Double-Crust pie
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 tablespoons dried onion flakes (rehydrated)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, cooked and drained
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese (cut into slices)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9-in pie pan with uncooked pie crust (Any pie crust will work, but my Never Fail crust is the one we always cook with this).
- In skillet brown beef and onion, drain. Stir in flour, salt, and garlic salt. Add the milk and cream cheese; cook and stir til smooth.
- Add moderate amount of hot cream mix to beaten egg and return to mixture in skillet. (Try to not curdle the egg).
- Cook and stir over medium heat til thick. Stir in the broccoli. Pour mixture into pastry lined pie pan.
- Cut the cheese into slices and arrange over the meat mixture. Place top crust over filling. Seal and flue edges. Cut slits in top and allow steam to escape. Brush top of the pie with a little milk.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand ten minutes before serving.
My mom makes this too! She doesn't measure anything and I was hoping somewhere out there the measurements were posted!!!! thank you!!!!!! It's so delicious even my picky husband loves it.