1/1 Photo of Hamburger Beans
Kat's Mom's Note:
When I grew up my father was the one who cooked dinner on weeknights. He enjoyed "inventing" dishes from what was on hand. This is my tweaked version of his creation. Delicious, quick to make and easy on the budget. My kids always used to fight over the leftovers, if there *were* any. Wonderful served with a fresh salad, apple sauce and bread & butter. Servings is a guess-timate, but it makes enough for a hungry family of six! Can be simmered in a crockput on low for 4 hours if desired. Throw in 1-2 teaspoons of Bone Dust BBQ Rub if you want a more complex flavor - yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (28 ounce) cans baked beans (Bush's Best Original works best, *NOT* BBQ varieties)
- 2 lbs ground beef (I prefer meatloaf mix)
- 3 small onions, chopped (use Vidalia Sweet Onions if available)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed (or more if you like!)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar (optional)
- 1In a large frying pan, cook hamburger until no longer pink, 10-15 minutes.
- 2Break into small pieces with a spatula and drain off grease.
- 3While ground beef is cooking, chop onions and peel garlic cloves & crush.
- 4Melt butter in bottom of a large cooking pot on medium heat; saute the onions 5 minutes.
- 5Add garlic to the onions and continue to saute until onions are translucent, another 2-3 minutes.
- 6Add beans, ground beef and brown sugar to pot and stir well.
- 7Heat on medium-low heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Beans
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.9
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 739.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 23.7 g