Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy, delicious soup from Pillsbury.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄3 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 28 ounces tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- In 6 quart stock pot, brown ground beef.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer approximately 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Keeps well. Easy to reheat.
Absolutely delicious! I used to make this about 15 years ago for my husband, son and myself. I made it tonight for myself, 7 kids and my oldest son's fiance. We all loved it. I didn't use the bay leaves, as I didn't have any and I am gluten free so I used 1 c. of rice instead of barley. I will be making this again. The flavor really surprises you at how good it really is. I even reduced the ground beef to 1 #. I just hope the kids will leave the little bit of leftovers for my husband, who was away working tonight. Thanks for posting this recipe.