Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Easy to throw together for a cold, rainy day. Nice and filling when served with a crusty loaf of bread. ETA--often I make this with beef broth instead of the water and bouillon cubes, and I'll often add a can of canned corn as well.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef, browned
- 5 cups water
- 3 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano, with juice
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules or 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Dissolve the bouillon in the water.
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or high for 4.5-5 hours.
I am not going to rate this being I made changes as I started the recipe as written - then thought as it cooked for more flavor to add 1 tsp of chipolte in adobe sauce and a tablespooon of tomato paste because I didn't like the color of the sauce, and did use ground turkey. My husband loved it and called it "hardy". I thought it was OK. Made a half recipe and yes makes at least 4 to 5 servings. Always better warmed as a leftover and looking foward to it. Made #26110 biscuits to serve with. Easy and good!
6qt crock. 2 cans beef broth 1.5c water to equal 5c liquid. 2 cans italian diced tomatoes. no potatoes. cooked overnight sans barley because i have quick-cook barley. added barley at very end. REALLY tasty! served with grilled cheese sandwiches.
My 13 year old son ate 3 bowls of this and still begged for more! Definitely will make again. I made 1/2 the recipe and it made 8 bowls. I substituted an 8 oz can of tomato sauce for one of the cans of tomatoes. Delicious!