Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is similar to" Toad in the hole", just a slightly different version. Love it on a blustery night. Instead of meatballs take a shortcut (shown in the photo) use sausages - I used hot Italian and made only half the recipe. Worked well. I browned the sausages for 15 minutes in the oven before pouring in the Ice Cold Yorkshire Pudding. The Yorkshire was light and tasty.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons ketchup or 4 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- sift flour and salt together.
- Beat eggs and milk together.
- Gradually add liquid to the flour.
- Beat for two minutes and refrigerate . Leave it in the fridge for at least an hour so it is ice cold when you pour it into baking dish
- Mix all the ingredients together and shape into walnut sized balls.
- In a skillet brown the balls but so not cook through.
- Putting it together: Heat oven to 400F degrees.Heat the cassorole dish & grease it
- Pour half of the Yorkshire pudding into a 10x6x2 greased casserole dish.
- Scatter the meat balls evenly in the batter.
- Pour over the remaining batter.
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
- The pudding should be puffed up around the meatballs and golden tipped.
What a wonderful idea! I would have rated this a 5-star if only so many meatballs had not fallen apart when browning. They were certainly tasty, but next time I will make them firmer by adding breadcrumbs. My family had this tonight (I doubled the recipe and used a bigger pan) for dinner and I will make it again.
This is a great and different recipe. I made the meatballs and baked them on a foil lined pan for about 10-15 mins. They stayed together perfectly. I served it with brown gravy. The whole family loved it!
I made this dish for a special meal and thought it was mediocre at best. The meatballs fell apart and the yorkshire pudding was flat, heavy and crusty. It also barely fed one hungry man, a starving nursing mom and a disinterested toddler. I will not make this one again.