This delicious cornbread is laced with sausage and ham. It is practically a meal in itself. It is great to make with leftover ham and sausage.
- In large skillet, sauté green pepper and onions in butter until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in the ham, sausage and green pepper mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 10-inch ovenproof skillet or 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
I made this for a quick dinner tonight along with some scrambled eggs. As I was in a rush I didn't pre cook the veggies but just added them raw and they baked in nicely. Used whole wheat flour in the batter and it all turned out lovely. It's really very tasty and I will be making it again.
This was quick and easy to make, smelled great as it was baking and came out of the oven so pretty looking. We really enjoyed this flavourful cornbread. I loved the textures in it. I used orange peppers and hot & spicy Italian sausage. I've frozen the leftovers to use this weekend to stuff my chicken. Yum, I can't wait. Thanks so much for sharing Lainey.
Great to use up leftovers. I used just ham (2 cups) but I wish I had sausage as I know this would have enhanced the flavor even more. :) I also didn't use green peppers due to family tastes. Thanks for the recipe, Lainey6605!