Recipe by Lainey6605
This delicious cornbread is laced with sausage and ham. It is practically a meal in itself. It is great to make with leftover ham and sausage.
Top Review by Annacia
I made this for a quick dinner tonight along with some scrambled eggs. As I was in a rush I didn't pre cook the veggies but just added them raw and they baked in nicely. Used whole wheat flour in the batter and it all turned out lovely. It's really very tasty and I will be making it again.
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1⁄3 lb bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, sauté green pepper and onions in butter until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in the ham, sausage and green pepper mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 10-inch ovenproof skillet or 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.