2 hrs 40 mins
I was raised on yeast "hammies" and to this day can't eat cookie ones! I also like the poppyseed filling the best. Will post the prune filling recipe separately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup warmed milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 5 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted and cooled butter or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, at room temperature lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2Place the milk in a large mixing bowl and mix with the water, yeast, sugar and flour to make a sloppy batter.
- 3Cover and allow to stand for 20- 30 minutes.
- 5Stir the sponge and add it to the sugar, melted butter, vanilla, eggs, salt and enough flour to make a soft, kneadable dough.
- 6Knead for 5 to 8 minutes until smooth.
- 7Cover well with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- 8At this stage, you can also refrigerate until the next day but allow dough to reach room temperature before proceeding.
- 9Divide the dough in half.
- 10Work, with one piece, leaving the rest of the dough covered with a tea towel.
- 11Roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thick.
- 12Cut out 3 inch circles with a cookie cutter or glass.
- 13Brush the circles with egg wash.
- 14Put tablespoon of desired filling in each.
- 15Bring 3 edges together to form triangles.
- 16Brush the filled hamantaschen with additional egg eash and sprinkle lightly with sugar if desired.
- 17Repeat with remaining dough.
- 1815 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350°F Line 1 or 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- 19Place the hamantashcen on the trays.
- 20Cover lightly with a tea towel and let them rise 15 to 25 minute.
- 21Bake 18 to 20 minutes until medium golden.
- 22Cool on the baking sheets.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamantaschen With Yeast Dough
Serving Size: 1 (55 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.1
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 45.2 mg
- Sodium 188.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 4.2 g