Recipe by Kinneret
As you know , Hamantaschen , or as they are called in Israel , Oznei Haman (Haman"s Ears) are the traditional food for Purim . The recipe for the dough was brought home from school by my eldest daughter , now 35 , in 5th grade , and the filling I put together from a few recipes I found in various cook books . It is a bit of work , but my 5 grown kids always ask for them . So this time I did the dough one time , the filling another time , & this morning when I woke up early I got them together & in the oven . My work colleagues are already sending the compliments my way .
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (200 g) packet unsalted margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 grated lemons, rind of or orange, rind of
- 2 -3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup ground poppy seed (pereg)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- beaten egg, for glazing
Directions See How It's Made
- Dough :.
- Crumb flour , margarine & baking powder .
- Add the other ingredients.
- Knead to dough .
- Chill at least 1/2 an hour .
- Can be left overnight .
- Filling :.
- Heat over small flame sugar , honey & water till sugar dissolves.
- Add the other ingredients , stir in
- Set aside till you are ready to work the dough .
- Assembly :.
- Roll dough out quite thinly .
- Cut circles with cup or glass
- Put small spoonfuls of filling in the center
- Fold up to form triangular shape
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake about 20 mins in preheated 180 C oven or till golden .
- Makes about 30 , depending on the size of the circles.
- Can be doubled , tripled , fourpled -- whatever
- Betayavon (Bon Appetit).
- And Happy Purim.