2 hrs 15 mins
A friend gave me this recipe for hamentaschen, the traditional pastry of the Jewish holiday of Purim. The filling is more likely to please an adult than a child. To use up all the filling takes somewhere between one and two batches of dough. These freeze well. I'm totally guessing on the time it takes to make them. They aren't quick, but worth the effort!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 566.99 g pitted prunes (2 packages)
- 340.19 g dried apricots (2 packages)
- 170.09 g dried peaches (1 package)
- 283.49 g raisins (1 package)
- 1 orange (thin skinned or peeled)
- 1 apple
- 170.09 g apricot jam (1/2 a small jar or to taste)
- 0.25 ml lemon juice
- 1For the filling, simply chop all the ingredients fine in your food processor and mix well.
- 2For the dough, cream sugar and eggs.
- 3Add oil and mix until it turns pale yellow and is no longer shiny.
- 4Mix in lemon and vanilla.
- 5In another bowl combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- 6Slowly add dry ingredients to wet. When it becomes difficult to mix, add more flour and knead.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 8To assemble cookies, roll out dough (in batches) to desired thickness (maybe a little thinner than 1/4") and cut into circles of desired size (can use cookie cutter, inverted glass, etc). Put a dollop of filling in the center of each cookie and fold up into a triangular shape, pinching the corners and leaving the center open so that the filling peeks out.
- 9Bake cookies for about 15 minutes until they are beginning to brown. I've always greased the cookie sheet very lightly with non-stick spray, but I don't know that you need to.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamantaschen (Best Ever!)
Serving Size: 1 (39 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 72
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.7
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 16.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 1.4 g