Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
The jewish holiday Purim is fast approaching, and this is a fat-free version of the traditional pastries called "hamantaschen". Recipe posted by request from www.fatfree.com Preparation time does not include refrigeration time.
- 354.88 ml flour
- 14.79 ml skim milk
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 59.14 ml applesauce
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla essence
- 1 egg white
- any fruit preserves or pie filling
- Mix applesauce, sugar and eggwhite in a bowl.
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder in another bowl and add to applesauce mixture.
- Add milk and vanilla essence.
- Mix well with hands.
- Form into a ball and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Divide dough into 16 small balls.
- Roll out each ball to a 3.
- 5 inch diameter circle (you will need extra flour for hands and board, since the dough is sticky).
- Place in the center of each circle one (heaping) tsp. of the filling.
- Form triangles by folding over edges of circle and pinch to create three corners, leaving a small amount of the filling in the center uncovered.
- Bake on a sprayed cookie sheet, at 375F, 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
This dough was absolutely perfect. It was slightly sweet but not too sweet for the filling. Wonderful recipe!