1 hr 30 mins
nannie jo's Note:
Usually made with pigeons instead of Cornish hens, this dish (pronounced ha-MAM mah-SHE bee boor-GHOUL) is one of the delicacies of Egypt, where villagers along the Nile River raise pigeons. The stuffing is baked separately and served alongside the hens. I am posting this recipe for World Tour 2-Middle Eastern
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (1 1/2 lb) Cornish hens, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- cooking spray
- 1To prepare the hens, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place the onion and next 5 ingredients (onion through allspice) in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine hens and onion mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal bag; marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally. Remove the hens from the bag; discard marinade.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 3Place hens on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; bake at 400°F for 35 minutes or until thermometer registers 180°F.
- 4To prepare the bulgur, soak currants in a bowl of water 15 minutes. Drain; set aside. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the bulgur, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon,1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in currants, pine nuts, and butter.
- 5Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1/2 Cornish hen and 1 1/2 cups bulgur mixture).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamam Mahshi Bi Burghul-Cornish Game Hens W/Bulgur & Raisins
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 776.7
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 325.1 mg
- Sodium 671.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 76.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth