- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup ham, diced
- 6 -8 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin, diced
- butternut squash, is a good substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until onion has softened.
- Add the wine and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- This should take 3-5 minutes.
- Add rice, salt pepper and ham and stir to coat evenly.
- Add 2 cups of stock and stir over medium heat until absorbed.
- This should take 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin and zucchini.
- Continue to add as much stock as needed, 1 cup at a time, stirring until rice is creamy and tender but still firm in the centre.
- This should take 15-18 minutes from the time you add first stock.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, basil and parmesan cheese.