Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
- Place ham slices in baking dish.
- Drain cherries and reserve syrup.
- Combine cherry syrup in saucepan with cornstarch, sugar, vinegar, water and spices.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and clear.
- Add wine and cherries.
- Pour over ham slices and bake at 350F 45 minutes.
I wondered how the ham and cherry sauce would go together and loved the combination! Rather than sliced ham I used ham steaks and I thought the thicker ham gave a good contrast in flavour between the untouched middle of the ham and the sauce. The sauce gave it a wonderful glazed effect and I cooked half the quantity and served over toast for a great lunch. I'm not much of a sweet tooth so the only change I made was to use half the quantity of sugar which made it slightly sweet / slightly tart.
This just didn't "do it" for me.. the ham turned a weird color and the sauce didn't hold up too well..however... I think it would be great spooned over warm ham slices, or even a baked chicken maybe. I think I would try it with the tart cherries also. Thanks for the idea though,