Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sauce is a wonderful sauce for ham. Gives it a great taste. Very easy to make. You can add pineapple chunks if desired. Sauce can be used on ham steaks as well.
- 1 (4 lb) fully cooked boneless ham
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 cup pineapple or 1 cup apricot preserves (I like pineapple better)
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Place ham in a rack in a shallow pan.
- If desired you can score top of ham.
- Insert meat thermometer.
- Bake in a 325 oven for 1.
- 25-2 1/2 hours or till thermometer reads 140 degrees.
- Meanwhile in sauce pan cook onion in margarine till tender but not brown.
- Stir in catsup, preserve, and dry mustard.
- Heat through.
- Brush some sauce onto ham before serving.
- Save remaining sauce for guests.
I had a very small ham, so I made a half recipe of this sauce for Easter dinner. We enjoyed this sauce very much. I was concerned that with the preserves (I used pineapple) and the catsup, this would be too sweet but it was just right. The onions and mustard make this sauce actually more savory than sweet. The color was very pretty too, a lovely shade of light orange.