Recipe by chilepepper1231
This was one of the first meals I made for my family as a teenager. My Mom and Dad were quite skeptical of anything new, but they really enjoyed it. Now my husband and daughter enjoy it to. It is quite an attractive dish, so I serve it to a lot of guests who never think of ham in this way.
- 2 lbs ham steaks, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 bunch scallion, minced,divided in half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in heavy skillet.
- Brown ham pieces quickly on both sides, a few at a time if neccessary.
- Move to platter and keep warm.
- Add 1/2 of the scallions to pan and saute for 1 minute.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Slowly add broth and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in port and ketchup, whisk smooth.
- Stir in cream and whisk smooth.
- Return meat to pan and spoon sauce over.
- To serve, sprinkle remaining 1/2 of the scallions over the top.