8 hrs 15 mins
I had a ham shank and some greens that I wanted to use up, but I was also on my way to work so I wanted it to be something I could cook in my slow cooker. After combining bits and pieces of other recipes, this is what I came up with. We ended up loving it so I decided to post it for safekeeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ham shank (it has more meat than a hock)
- 411.06 g can great northern beans
- 236.59 ml yellow onion, chopped
- 177.44 ml carrot, diced
- 177.44 ml celery, diced
- 4.92 ml hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 4.92 ml dried chipotle powder (chipotle chile powder)
- 7.39 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml smoked paprika
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 793.78 g chicken stock (which is 2 cans worth)
- 226.79 g collard greens, which is about 3 to 4 loosely packed cups, I actually used a prechopped mix that had collard, turnip
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1Place smoked ham shank in crock pot.
- 2Open can of beans and rinse thoroughly. Place beans in a large bowl.
- 3Combine all of the ingredients with the beans (except for salt and pepper) and mix thoroughly. Pour over ham shank.
- 4Cover and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours. Remove ham shank from crock. Discard skin, fat and bone. Chop up remaining ham and put back into the crock. Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust any seasoning (more thyme, tobasco, paprika, etc). After adjusting I like to finish off by putting the cover back on and cooking for an additional 30 min on high just to let the adjusted flavor meld together. Remove bay leaves and discard. Portion into four bowls.
- 5I had a multigrain baguette that I cut into slices. I smeared each slice with a thin layer of goat cheese and we ate that with it. But I bet cornbread would be equally delicious.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham, White Bean, and Collard Greens Soup (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.3
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 5.9 mg
- Sodium 373.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 14.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: