Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This was one of those "I wonder what if" things. Those cherries needed useing. I had the ham slice in the freezer from the last batch of D, BTAGBeans. I buy a shank end and get my butcher friend to saw a couple super thick slices off then the shank goes into the bean pot. All in all it was tasty and moist. Didn't sandwich bad either.
- Put rum in small pot and heat on stove over low heat.
- HAVE A LONG HANDLED LIGHTER IN HAND AND NOTHING ABOVE THE POT.
- Spark lighter over pot as soon as it warms.
- THIS IS GONNA FLAME-- EXPECT IT!
- As soon as the flames begin to die, add the Cherries.
- Let it reduce and add the brown sugar.
- Let it reduce some more while you place the trimmed slice in a roaster, I use a big cast iron skillit.
- Stick your remote probe thermometer, YOU DO HAVE ONE DONCHA, long way in the thickest part of the slice.
- Scrape the cherry glop on top and drizzle the remaining juice over the yams.
- Put uncovered in a 240 slow oven till the internal temp is 150 degrees F.
- This will take a while so baste it with the juice every half hour or so.