8 hrs 20 mins
Stretching our budget I purchased half a ham and had to make it last...Threw it in the freezer until inspiration hit me. With a few easy steps I was able to stretch it three ways! Ham dinner, ham and beans, and ham salad for yummy sammies. All measurements are estimates since I am too lazy to be precise...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Take ham out of freezer to thaw and soak your beans in a large pot with enough water to cover them by 2 inches.
- 2The next day start your ham dinner.
- 3mix honey-dijon mustard and brown sugar to make a paste.
- 4rub all over ham
- 5place in crockpot.
- 6pour in just enough cola to bring liquid about halfway up sides of ham.
- 7cover and cook on high 4-5 hours.
- 8When ham has been crocking away for a few hours start your beans.
- 9Rinse beans thoroughly and pick out any nasty ones.
- 10Place back into a large stockpot and cover with water plus 2 inches.
- 11Bring to boil.
- 12reduce heat to medium and continue to slow boil until ham in crockpot is done.
- 13Serve the crockpot ham with chosen sides (we like smashed potatoes for the gravy).
- 14Once ham is cooled remove from crockpot with slotted spoon.
- 15Place bone, fat and some chunks of ham into the bean pot along with the onion, stir.
- 16Pour the remaining "gravy" from the crockpot into the bean pot.
- 17Place remaining ham in food processor to grind up.
- 18in large bowl, mix mayo, relish, onion and worcestershire together.
- 19add ground ham and mix well.
- 20refrigerate ham salad to allow flavors to meld.
- 21Allow beans to slow boil for 2-3 more hours, stirring occasionally.
- 22Voila! Two dinners and lunches with not a lot of effort or expense!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham - Three Ways on a Budget
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.4
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 42.2 mg
- Sodium 830.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
honey dijon mustard