Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is rich and filling. I've tried so many tetrazzini recipes and this one so far is our favorite. Hope you give it a try and enjoy it! You may also substitute chicken or turkey in place of the ham.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk or 1 1⁄4 cups cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, broken into thirds
- 3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 4 ounces chopped pimiento, drained
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup toasted breadcrumb
- Melt butter in a skillet. Saute mushrooms and onions, until most of mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- Blend in flour until smooth.
- Add broth, and milk or cream, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Add cheese, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir until cheese melts. Lower heat and simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, cook spaghetti noodles. Drain noodles and add sauce along with ham and pimentos.
- Spoon into greased 2 quart casserole and sprinkle with parmesan and bread crumbs. This freezes well.
- Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes.
This recipe was excellent! I just made a few of modifications to it though. I added low sodium broth since ham tends to be a bit salty anyway. I added 1 heaping tsp. minced garlic when sauteing the onions & mushrooms. I added 1 c. petite green peas when adding the sauce, ham & pimentos. And lastly, I didn't have any breadcrumbs in my pantry, so I cubed 4-5 slices of bread (heels/ends work best) and tossed with 1/2 stick melted butter and sprinkled over top with the parmesan cheese. I will definately make this again! Thanks Weeezer0421!
Thought it would be too cheesy? I was wrong. Always trying to find recipes for leftover ham. This was great. We do not like mushrooms so we added extra onions and garlic. Also did not use breadcrumbs or bake in the oven. Used cheddar and marble jack mix. Excellent. We will try many variations of this recipe.
I made this recipe almost as is but did add garlic to the onion and mushroom saute. I also added a tad more milk in lieu of some of the broth since the cans of broth are just short of 2 cups at 14.5 oz. I would also reduce the amount of by 1 TBSP or so. It was really delicious and super comforting on this cold, windy night. My 17 month old, 3 year old and husband just gobbled it up. They said to add it to the rotation.