Recipe by Jennibear
This recipe was from EatingWell recipes. They wrote "Rosti is a traditional Swiss potato pancake typically served as a side dish but we added ham and cheese to transform it into an easy weeknight supper". I made a few changes to the original recipe (like using garlic instead of rosemary). It was very easy to make and delicious. We served this with a nice salad. My whole family liked it!
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup diced ham (about 5 oz)
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (or cheddar)
- 1 shallot, minced (or onion)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (or fresh rosemary)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 cups shredded hash brown potatoes (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter. Add ham and onions and saute until onions are tender. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine eggs, swiss cheese, garlic, salt and potatoes. Mix in ham and onions. Pour into large skillet on medium heat. Press mixture down firmly into pan. Cook for 12-15 minutes. Place a large plate over the skillet and turn over onto plate. Slide back into the skillet to cook the potato mixture on the other side. You will need to make sure there is enough oil in the pan to prevent sticking. Continue to cook for about another 10 minutes. Slide back on to the plate and cut into wedges. This comes out crispy and delicious!