Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I had this at a holiday appetizer party and everyone loved it and wanted the recipe!We sampled the ham--Swiss version but the salami-cheddar filling sounds yummy too. Best served warm.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup chopped ham (see note)
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 egg, separated
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pastry: combine flour and butter in a food processor fitted with a metal blade- pulse until evenly blended.
- Or cut in butter with a pastry blender.
- Add cottage cheese and process (or stir) until dough forms a moist ball.
- Divide dough in half and chill while preparing filling.
- Filling: Mix ham, cheese, celery, green onions, flour and spices.
- On a lightly floured board, roll out half of the dough to form an 11 or 12 inch circle.
- Set on a greased baking sheet.
- Spread filling evenly to within 1 inch of edges.
- Lightly beat egg white and brush outer edges of dough.
- Roll out remaining dough to same size and top the pastry round with the filling with this round.
- Press edges firmly together and flute or crimp.
- Can be assembled ahead to this point.
- Just before baking, brush top and edges with the lightly beaten, reserved egg yolk.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Loosen from pan with a metal spatula and slide onto serving plate.
- Cut into slim wedges; serve hot or warm.
- Note: to make Salami-Cheddar filling instead, substitute chopped salami and shredded cheddar cheese for the ham and Swiss and increase the amount of green onion to 1/2 cup.