Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love breakfast casseroles. Stone-ground mustard, mushrooms and green onions flavor the classic combination of ham and swiss cheese in this dish. Recipe is from Taste of Home.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 18 slices day-old French bread, divided (3/4 inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup stone ground mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- warm maple syrup (optional)
- Pour 1/4 cup butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. Spread both sides of bread with mustard. Arrange nine slices in baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, mushrooms and garlic in remaining butter until mushrooms are tender. Add the onions; cook 1 minute longer or until onions are crisp-tender. Spoon over bread; sprinkle with cheese. Arrange remaining bread on top. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in parsley; pour over bread.
- Place dish in a larger baking pan. Fill larger pan with hot water to a depth of 1 inches Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.