Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a yummy savory strudel filled with ham, rice, and cheese. From the Junior League of Rochester, NY.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter, melted and divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 10 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 4 ounces cooked ham, thinly sliced, cut into very thin strips
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Saute onion in 1 tbsp melted butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside, and let cool. Stir in parsley.
- Work with 1 sheet of phyllo at a time, keeping the remaining sheets covered with a slightly damp towel so they don't dry out. Layer phyllo sheets on a work surface, brushing each sheet with the remaining 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons melted butter. Spoon the reserved rice mixture over phyllo, spreading to within 1 inch of sides. Sprinkle the ham over the rice mixture, then top with the cheeses.
- Starting at the short side, fold the phyllo over 1 inch; fold each long side over 1 inch. Roll up phyllo, starting with the short side. Place the phyllo, seam side down, on a lightly greased broiling rack in a broiler pan. Brush with any remaining melted butter. Make several diagonal slits, about 1/4 inch deep, across the top of the pastry with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This was a big hit with my family. I did use mozzarella instead of swiss. And my only other comment is that I split this into 2 rolls. I buttered a 14x11 jelly roll pan as a template and laid out the phyllo dough as I brushed it with butter, added half the filling and repeated the process 2 make 2 nice size rolls. Thanks for sharing!
Great recipe! I made it exactly as written and I won't change a thing next time we make it. Thanks for sharing such, this was a good one!
I have made this a few times and it always get rave reviews and requests for the recipe.