1/3 Photos of Ham Strudel
1 hr 20 mins
This is a yummy savory strudel filled with ham, rice, and cheese. From the Junior League of Rochester, NY.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter, melted and divided
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 10 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 4 ounces cooked ham, thinly sliced, cut into very thin strips
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Saute onion in 1 tbsp melted butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside, and let cool. Stir in parsley.
- 2Work with 1 sheet of phyllo at a time, keeping the remaining sheets covered with a slightly damp towel so they don't dry out. Layer phyllo sheets on a work surface, brushing each sheet with the remaining 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons melted butter. Spoon the reserved rice mixture over phyllo, spreading to within 1 inch of sides. Sprinkle the ham over the rice mixture, then top with the cheeses.
- 3Starting at the short side, fold the phyllo over 1 inch; fold each long side over 1 inch. Roll up phyllo, starting with the short side. Place the phyllo, seam side down, on a lightly greased broiling rack in a broiler pan. Brush with any remaining melted butter. Make several diagonal slits, about 1/4 inch deep, across the top of the pastry with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden.
- 4Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.9
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 101.5 mg
- Sodium 545.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 15.2 g