Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A hearty soup full of ham, fresh string beans & chunks of potatoes. The perfect dish for that leftover ham and ham bone.
- 1 leftover ham bone, with lots meat
- 4 -5 cups of leftover ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 3 -4 bay leaves (med sized)
- 2 lbs fresh string beans, cleaned
- 5 -6 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- In a large pot place first six ingredients and add enough water to cover the ham bone. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Remove the ham, & Bone and let cool. Place cooled ham in the refrigerator.Continue simmering the broth for approximately 3-4 hours. Add the string beans and continue cooking until almost tender, approximately one half hour. Add the potato chunks and cook until tender. De-bone the ham cutting meat into bite sized chunks. When potatoes are cooked & string beans are tender add the ham back to the pot. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with hot biscuits & butter.