Recipe by Aroostook
This is a great post-Easter recipe. The couscous cooks up really fluffy making it a memorable dish. I recently made this for a wake where it received rave reviews. From the All Recipes website.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli and cauliflower
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb cooked ham, cut into strips
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make Couscous: In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until really Fluffy. Cover and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger. Mix together and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok. Add garlic, broccoli, cauliflower and carrot; stir-fry for 7 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender (add water as needed if pan gets too dry).
- Stir broth mixture and pour over vegetable mixture in skillet, then stir in ham and water chestnuts. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in almonds. Serve stir fry over hot couscous.