Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Just a 'throw together' that my family liked..
- 3 round ham steaks
- 1 dash vegetable oil (for stir frying)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (400 g) can pineapple chunks (and juice)
- 1 vegetable stock cubes or 1 teaspoon vegetable stock
- 125 g dry rice (I use 1 bag of Uncle Bens boil in bag rice)
- 1⁄2-1 cup frozen peas
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- soy sauce (to flavour)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- Cut ham into cubes.
- Put oil into non stick fry pan and gently fry ham cubes and onion.
- Add the pineapple and the juice, the stock, rice and the water.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add more boiling water during cooking if necessary.
- Stir in peas, red pepper and soy sauce and season to taste.
- Heat through and serve immediately.
I left out the onion and my kids went wild for this! On the sweet side, chock full of things they like, yum! I didn't have any quick rice so I parboiled orzo and put that in its place. I think rice would be better, but the orzo was fine.
This was good but nothing spectacular. I left out the red pepper and added red pepper flakes instead for a little kick of flavor.