I found this recipe years ago in a magazine and it's been a favorite of mine since I first made it. Hope you will enjoy it!
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a heavy skillet.
- Season the ham steaks with pepper.
- Cook the ham steaks in the butter/brown sugar mixture until done.
- Remove the steaks from the skillet.
- Cook the onions and mushrooms in the same skillet until the onions are translucent.
- Add the flour to the skillet.
- Cook the flour, stirring constantly, until browned.
- Add the chicken broth and coffee.
- Cook the gravy, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Serve gravy over the ham steaks.
Easy & delicious! I cut the recipe in half and used a thick ham slice and it was terrific. Thanks for posting this. I'll make it again and again.
What can I say other than 5 stars when I enjoyed your recipe so much. I cut the recipe back to 2 small ham steaks and used brown sugar substitute with no problems. The bit of coffee is a definate part of the recipe do not omit it. Thanks Dreamgoddess for a neat recipe
I used regular white onion and reconstituted shitake mushrooms and an instant coffee bag in the gravy while it was cooking. It was popular among the gravy eaters.