Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
For the stuffing, you can experiment with different types of bread or flavored croutons. I especially like making my own stuffing so I can control the sodium level - and especially in this case since ham is salty anyway.
- 29.58 ml chopped celery
- 29.58 ml butter
- 473.18 ml toasted bread cubes or 473.18 ml croutons
- 29.58 ml minced onions
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml poultry seasoning
- 0.59 ml ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml water
- 236.59 ml diced apple
- 907.18-453.59 g ham steaks, of approximate equal size
- 8-10 whole cloves
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 14.79 ml butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, saute celery in butter; remove from heat and add next 7 ingredients; mix well and set aside.
- In a cup, wisk together the orange juice and melted butter; set aside.
- Slash the fat around ham to prevent it from curling, and place one of the steaks in a greased baking dish.
- Spread with apple stuffing.
- Top with remaining ham steak.
- Stud the fat around the edge with whole cloves, spacing them 1" or 1-1/2" apart.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until done, basting 3 or 4 times with the orange juice/butter mixture.
Lovely recipe - We enjoyed our Easter dinner. I used Turkey stuffing mix instead of the bread cubes & poultry seasoning. The cloves are a lovely flavor enhancer. I loosely covered the steak with foil for the first 30 minutes and baked it a further 20 minutes uncovered - Just right