Recipe by Mexi-Rosie
The only way my kids would eat spinach when growing up. A cooking class teacher's recipe.
- 8 slices of crustless commercial white bread
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped or grated
- 2 cups cooked drained and chopped spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups ham, diced or shredded
- 6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper (taste before cooking)
- additional butter, enough to grease baking pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak bread in milk until soft and soggy--drain, but not excessively.
- Stir fry onion in heated butter.
- When onion is transparent add the saoked bread.
- Keep stirring over medium heat until its a pasty consistency.
- Add spinach and ham.
- Mix; withdraw from heat and let cool to lukewarm or room temperature.
- Incorporate the egg yolks, salt, peper, and nutmeg.
- Finally, beat egg whites to soft peak stage and incorporate well.
- Pour into a concave round baking dish that has been previoulsy greased with butter.
- Place over a rectangular mold with hot water on its bottom (steam method).
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes approximately.