Recipe by Nif
A rich and delicious strata that would be a nice feature dish at a brunch. This can be assembled a day ahead. Just cover and refrigerate before baking. This is another recipe from the Best of Bridge ladies. They are legends from my home town. Enjoy!
Top Review by Laurita
An excellent B&B recipe. I've included the photo - well forgot to take the picture before we had already served and munched a good chunk of it, but it was very tasty! I was concerned that it would be bland because the only spice was nutmeg and black pepper. But, trust me on this one, it's easily a crowd pleaser. Made a great brunch item. I had a honey baked ham so cut slice/chunks, my cheese on hand was muenster, I also added a few sliced mushrooms, I didn't use butter or olive oil either - just cooking spray... so a little different, a little lighter maybe, but yummy! Everyone would like this even if they don't like spinach. Mine also was much smaller. I've never made a strata before, didn't even know what it was, but my "what I had on hand" version sure was tasty and easy. Thanks, Nif, Great easy recipe, much appreciated!
- 1 large baguette
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 lb ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped (about 2 bunches)
- 3⁄4 lb Fontina cheese or 3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler. Cut baguette diagnoally into 3/4" thick slices. Brush both sides with butter and toast on baking sheet 3" from heat until golden, about 30 seconds each side.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir until golden. Add ham and saute until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add toasted bread and toss gently. Transfer saturated bread to shallow 3 quart casserole, slightly overlapping slices. Place spinach and ham mixture between slices. Pour remaining egg mixture over all.
- Sprinkle cheese over strata, slightly lifting baguette slices with a spatula to allow cheese to fall between all slices. Preheat oven to 350°F Bake strata in middle of oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until puffed and edges of bread are golden and eggs are set.