Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This is another recipe from my earlier years. I believe I found the recipe in a library book; it was a good addition to our weeknight meals.
Top Review by ValFosburgh
My family really loved this - simple and good comfort food. I had leftover spaghetti, threw in some ham I had from the freezer and a cup of Mexican blend shredded cheese and it was great. I did throw in some raw onion, and that didn't really cook during the oven time. Next time, I would saute it a little first. I ended up heating it for about 25 minutes to get it hot, too. The 3 cups of milk seemed like a lot and that it would be soupy, but it wasn't at all - just the right amount of creaminess.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup American cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed (smoked ham suggested)
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti, cooked and drained
- sliced hard-cooked egg (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 2 quart casserole.
- Melt butter in large saucepan; blend in flour, salt and white pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and blend in cheese; add ham and cooked spaghetti. Stir well.
- Spoon into prepared casserole. Cover and bake in preheated oven about 15 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Garnish with sliced hard-cooked eggs, if desired.