Prep 1 min
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very nice, cozy soup. It takes a bit of time and effort, but it is worth it 8)
Make and share this Ham Sausage & Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb garlic flavored sausage, like kielbasa
- 7 ounces smoked ham, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried crumbled thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 -9 cups chicken stock or 8 -9 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (1 lb) canpeeled tomatoes
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb dried lentils (depending on desired thickness)
- 12 large spinach leaves, washed, trimmed & finely shredded
- Heat oil in 6-8 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until almost all fat is rendered.
- Transfer sausage to platter and drain off all but 2 tablespoons grease from saucepan.
- Add ham, onion, green pepper and carrot. Cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, thyme and cumin.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- While that's cooking, thinly slice sausage; add to pan with chicken stock, tomatoes and lentils.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover partially and simmer gently until lentils begin dissolve, about 2 hours.
- (Can be prepared up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated, or frozen for several months.).
- Discard any fat from the surface, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Simmer just until warmed through, then add spinach.
- Serve while warm.
Good hearty winter soup. Next time I must use a food processor to accomplish the fine chopping! The recipe's times account only for the 2 hours of simmering, nothing else. If you're going to eat sausage and ham, this recipe also gives you a LOT of fiber. The spinach is a garnish; I didn't find that its flavor "completed" the soup. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game.