Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serve this dish with sliced cooked carrots and old-fashioned green beans cooked with bacon. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or 2 medium yams
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, reserve juice
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumbs or 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 lbs ham slices, sliced 1/4-inch thick (2 slices of either smoked or boiled ham)
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain and mash.
- Add butter, pineapple, nuts, crumbs and brown sugar; mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread a thick layer of filling on each ham slice; roll as for a jelly roll, fasten with toothpicks or tie into shape.
- Place in a baking dish, pour pineapple juice over and bake (1 hour for smoked ham and 20 minutes for boiled ham).
- Baste frequently with pan juices.
- Cut each roll into thirds.
I made these awhile ago and plan on making them again, just couldn't figure out where to review them at, but now I found it and am leaving my opinion! LOL These went over really well with my children and myself I left the pecans out of it though because I'm not real fond of nuts. This gave me a new way to serve ham to my family and they all thought it was marvelous, thanks for sharing!