Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe came from a friend years ago. I made it once and now I'm "expected" to make it for every party! It's a bit strange looking and folks might be reluctant to get into it, but once they do, I promise it will be GONE. This makes a lot, too, so it's an easy and inexpensive way to provide snacks for a bunch of people (servings are approximate). Prep time includes chilling.
- 16 ounces cream cheese or 16 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 (1 ounce) packet dried Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 lb cooked deli ham, shaved
- 2 -3 tablespoons paprika (to garnish)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- assorted cracker
- Combine cream cheese, cottage cheese and dressing mix in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Line a rectangular baking sheet with plastic wrap. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on top of the plastic wrap, covering the entire tray. Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours, or in the freezer for about 30 minutes if you're in a hurry.
- Spread shaved ham in an even layer over the cream cheese (it will be a very thick layer). Spread to about one inch from each edge.
- Beginning from a short side, begin to carefully roll the mixture jellyroll fashion, peeling away the plastic wrap as you roll. Be sure to have a large platter handy. When you've almost reached the end of the tray, set your platter at the end of it and lift/roll the rest of the way off your baking sheet and onto the platter. Don't worry if it doesn't look perfect at this point - you can touch it up in the next step!
- Using a table knife, spread the cream cheese to cover any holes that occured during rolling or to even out any thick places (like frosting a cake). Sprinkle paprika all over the top and sides of the roll and top with fresh chopped parsley. Serve with crackers.
- This makes a nice "day after the party" lunch, IF you have any left!