Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooking Light June 2008
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2 medium leeks)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice or 1 cup other medium grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 ounces diced cooked ham (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm.
- Cook peas in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in rice; cook 1 minute. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total).
- Add ham to pan; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in peas, cheese, and pepper.