Recipe by SweetSabrina
Was looking for a recipe to use the leftover ham from Christmas and came across this recipe in a really old Sunset Casserole Cookbook. It turned out to be delicious. The only change I made was omitting the bell pepper because I didn't have any on hand and adding a little extra celery instead. You could always try the bell pepper if you'd like! I also sprinkled some extra Cheddar cheese on top. I love that this recipe uses real potatoes, milk, & cheese instead of mixes and soups and its still quick and easy to prepare!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 medium potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked ham
- 3⁄4 cup sliced celery
Directions See How It's Made
- 1- Sauté onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, & mustard. Gradually pour in milk, & stirring constantly, cook until sauce is thickened. Add cheese & stir until blended.
- 2- In a greased 2-½ quart casserole, alternate layers of sliced raw potato, diced ham, & celery; pour over part of the cheese sauce, & continue to arrange ingredients in layers until all are used. Pour remaining cheese sauce over all & sprinkle w/ more cheese.
- 3- Bake, covered, in 350 ° over for 1 hour; remove cover & continue baking 35-45 minutes Longer, or until potatoes are tender & lightly browned on top.