Recipe by MarieRynr
The delectable results of this recipe make a perfect buffet main course, surrounded with salada and assorted breads and rolls. You can use leftover ham instead of the ham steak if you wish.
- 2 cups water
- 1 ham steak, 1 1/2 lb and 1/4 inch thick,trimmed of all fat and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shrredded
- 1⁄2 lb smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the ham and simmer for 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and drain well.
- Set aside.
- Oil a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Distribute one fourth of the potatoes evenly over the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Distribute one third of the ham evenly over the potatoes.
- Top with of the remaining potatoes and then all of the remaining ham.
- Top with all the remaining potatoes, layering the slices attractively.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F (180*C) Pour the milk into a saucepan placed over medium heat and warm until bubbles appear at the edges of the pan.
- Remove from heat.
- In another saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the flour and cook,stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- (DO not brown) Gradually stir in the hot milk and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the cheeses, mustard, cayenne and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the pan to low heat and stir just until the cheese melts.
- Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the potatoes and ham.
- Bake, uncovered until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a skewer and the top is golden brown, about one hour.