Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 'Pot Pies' by Diane Phillips
- 5 medium red potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄3 lb cooked ham, sliced very thin (or julienne strips of thicker ham slices)
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups fresh grated swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°; butter a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Spread a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pan, and sprinkle the potatoes with some of the salt and pepper.
- Cover the potatoes with a few of the onion slices, a layer of ham, then another layer of potatoes.
- Season and continue the layering process until you have used all the potatoes for the final layer.
- In a bowl, beat together the cream, eggs, and mustard.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes, and sprinkle the top with grated cheese.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender, and the cheese is golden.
- Serve immediately.
Excellent ! I made the recipe as directed. It was very good.