1 hr 20 mins
Abby Girl's Note:
I love soups during the cold winter months. They are fast, easy and nourishing....comfort food!!! I stock mine with lots of veggies and beans
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 3 large garlic, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, cut
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs ham shank or 2 lbs ham hocks
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup dried yellow peas, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme and oregano.
- 3Cook and stir until veggies are softened, about 6 minutes.
- 4Add remaining ingredients, except parsley.
- 5Bring soup to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to low.
- 7Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 8Remove ham from soup -- and let cool slightly.
- 9Puree half the soup in a food processor and return to pot with remaining soup.
- 10Cover to keep hot.
- 11Cut meat from ham shank and return meat to pot.
- 12Discard bone.
- 13Stir in parsley.
- 14Taste soup and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- 15If soup is too thick, add water or chicken broth to water it down.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham, Pea Soup With Lentils (Weight Watcher Friendly - 4 Points)
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.1
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 740.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried yellow peas