Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love soups during the cold winter months. They are fast, easy and nourishing....comfort food!!! I stock mine with lots of veggies and beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 3 large garlic, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, cut
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs ham shank or 2 lbs ham hocks
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup dried yellow peas, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme and oregano.
- Cook and stir until veggies are softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except parsley.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove ham from soup -- and let cool slightly.
- Puree half the soup in a food processor and return to pot with remaining soup.
- Cover to keep hot.
- Cut meat from ham shank and return meat to pot.
- Discard bone.
- Stir in parsley.
- Taste soup and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- If soup is too thick, add water or chicken broth to water it down.