Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
Simple, flavorful casserole. For a bolder taste Colby cheese can be used instead of Cheddar. Submitted to www.recipezaar.com on Jan. 17, 2010.
Top Review by seal angel
This had to grow on me personally! My 9 year old daughter ate it, which suprised me. I just had to add a little bit of salt and drops of sirracha to mine. Never ate cream of potatoe soup in anything. I think this could be good as an egg dish too minus the soup. I used diced potatoes with onion, green, and red pepper. I forgot the potatoes had it and still did the onion step but only a half. My husband said he liked it but it had a lot of onion taste. Not suprised by that. He is not an onion eater. Made 2 oz more of potato, 2 cups ham, and 2 cups cheese. Update: This morning, I scrambled eggs with the leftovers. My daughter woke up this morning saying, "It smells good like dinner last night." Lol. I liked the breakfast better.
- 1 (26 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 lb ham slices, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small skillet saute onions in butter until tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine potatoes, cheese, ham slices, soup, onions with butter and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spoon this mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish sprayed with non-stick.
- Bake at 350° F for about 35 minutes or until lightly browned.