Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, flavorful casserole. For a bolder taste Colby cheese can be used instead of Cheddar. Submitted to www.recipezaar.com on Jan. 17, 2010.
- 1 (26 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 lb ham slices, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small skillet saute onions in butter until tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine potatoes, cheese, ham slices, soup, onions with butter and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spoon this mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish sprayed with non-stick.
- Bake at 350° F for about 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
This had to grow on me personally! My 9 year old daughter ate it, which suprised me. I just had to add a little bit of salt and drops of sirracha to mine. Never ate cream of potatoe soup in anything. I think this could be good as an egg dish too minus the soup. I used diced potatoes with onion, green, and red pepper. I forgot the potatoes had it and still did the onion step but only a half. My husband said he liked it but it had a lot of onion taste. Not suprised by that. He is not an onion eater. Made 2 oz more of potato, 2 cups ham, and 2 cups cheese. Update: This morning, I scrambled eggs with the leftovers. My daughter woke up this morning saying, "It smells good like dinner last night." Lol. I liked the breakfast better.
This was easy to make and tasted very good. I used the diced type frozen hash browns, and it did take closer to an hour for the potatoes to be done. Next time I'll use shredded. We did not find it dry and did not add any liquid.
I made this recipe on 9/26/10 for the Potato Event in the Cooking Photos Forum and,most importantly mine and SO's dinner. While saute'ing the onions, the ham was also browned to give a bit more color to the dish.After mixing together the rest of ingredients, I noticed that it looked a little dry, so about 1/4 cup of milk was added.Before baking I did add a bit more cheese to the top ( we really like cheese ).The baking time and temp. were " right on the money " . We both really enjoyed and it will be made again. Thank you for posting and," Keep Smiling :) "